Welcome to Reception
Children begin their new way of learning in Reception class as they begin to combine a more structured day with learning through play and exploration. They build the foundations of crucial knowledge that helps them to develop conversations and access activities with understanding.
The classroom is welcoming and supports the children to settle in with displays of family and features of home that bring security. These are some of the things we do in Reception class…
The areas of learning are:
- communication and language.
- physical development.
- personal, social and emotional development.
- understanding the world.
- expressive arts and design.
Communication and Language
- we understand how to listen and carefully and why listening is important
- we learn new vocabulary and crucial knowledge
- we listen to and talk about stories
- we express our ideas using full sentences
- we learn rhymes, poems and songs
- we engage in non-fiction books
- we hold conversations
- we begin to develop body strength, coordination, balance and agility
- we run, jump, skip and hop
- we develop small motor skills to help us use tools and equipment safely and carefully
- we develop confidence and competence with ball skills: throwing, catching, kicking, passing, batting and aiming
- we understand how to look after ourselves and take care of ourselves: fresh air, healthy food, toothbrushing, sleep routine and screen time
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- we look after each other
- we are able to say how we feel and we consider the feelings of our friends
- we show resilience and try our best
- we are able to think about how others see things
- we try new things
- we know right from wrong
- we work together and can take turns and cooperate
- we enjoy daily Jolly Phonics sessions, reading individual letters by saying the sounds for them
- we learn how to read short words
- we read books and re-read them to build up confidence in word reading, fluency, and for understanding and enjoyment
- we share story time as a class on the carpet, exploring reading through looking at books in the classroom
- we develop our love of reading with non-fiction and fiction books
- we develop our phonics skills
- we learn to form our letters through handwriting and phonics
- We begin to apply our phonics to build words
- we learn through ‘hands on’ learning counting objects, actions and sounds
- we count beyond ten
- we recall number bonds 0-10
- we recognise shape
- we explore patterns within numbers to 10
Understanding the World
- we talk about the lives of the people around us and what they do for us
- we know what is the past and what is now
- we look at our learning environment and explore animals and plants
- we know that in other places, the environment is different
- we know how life in other places is different than ours
- we understand the changing seasons and how this affects the natural world
Expressive Arts and Design
- we use Art to express our ideas and feelings
- we share ideas and create work together
- we sing in a group and try to match the pitch and follow the melody
- we explore music-making and engage in dance and perform to each other
- we make use of props and role play to play characters in narratives and stories
- we make up stories based on our learning
- Teacher: Mrs. V. Davenport.